Špira Puovića I 10,HR-21220 Trogir,Croatia

Cathedral of St. Lawrence

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The Cathedral of St. Lawrence (of St. John of Trogir) takes the main place among the Trogir churches. The church area, in which believers gathered from the Middle Ages, is also a building where slogans from Romanticism, Gothics, Renaissance and Baroque mingle and which houses valuable works of art. While in antiquity the cemetery was in the part of the city that is on land, in the Middle Ages burials took place in the Cathedral and in the majority of the churches in the city and its surroundings. The construction of the Cathedral started about 1200 and was completed at the beginning of the 17th century.

Chapel of the blessed Jonh of Trogi

The batismal certificate of the chapel is preserved – an uncommonly detailed contract concerninig the beginning of its construction entered into January 4, 1468, in Trogir, between the master of the fabric of the cathedral, Niccolo Ciprianus, the stone mason Andrija Alesi and Koriolan Cipiko, who had a power of attorney from sculptor Niccolo di Giovanni of Florence and Ivan Duknovic, and four statues of Alessandro Vittoria were also carved for it (later moved to the attic of the bell tower after Baroque modifications, when four windows were opened up at the places of the original niches with statues). The initiator of the plan and the construction of the chapel was Koriolan Cipiko. The chapel, however, from the point of view of sculptures, is primarly the work of Niccolo di Giovanni, a pupil of Donatello.



In the gallery of statues in the chapel, Duknovic's masterpiece of ca 1482 stands out – St John the Evangelist, a statue (second from the entrance on the left hand side) that under the toga of the saint hides the figure of Alvise, son of Koriolan Cipiko, raised to eminence by his poetic fame and honours of a prelate. To the left is a statue of St Thomas, also a work by Duknovic, but one of the last (1508). Among the works of Niccolo di Giovanni and his workshop, the finest are St John the Evangelist and St Paul in the zone of apostles, the Coronation of the Virgin in the lunette below the ceiling – with a gallery of angelic childlike faces, as well as a sequence of putti that symbolically bear the weight of the cornice, standing on the pilasters between the niches for the apostles, and in the ground floor a sequence of putti with torches, symbols of eternal life. The bust of the Creation in a medallion in the middle of vault is a Baroque facsimile of that of Niccolo (damaged and now in the Lapidarium of the municipal museum), the work of Ignacije Macanović of 1778. In its first two centuries the chapel was the mausoleum of Bishop Jacopo Turlon and the chapel of the holy sacrament, for the body of the Blessed Johnwas moved to the chapel only in 1681. when a Gothic sarcophagus was brought into the Renaissaince chapel, and Baroque angles placed by it.

 

Google maps        Wikipedia

 

Print Email

Fortress Kamerlengo

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Fortress Kamerlengo is situated at west end of Trogir islet, built by Venetians in Xlll - XV century as a naval base for their navy forces in this part of Adriatic. It is named by town Magistrate Camerarius. Nowadays, fortress is multimedia center with open air cinema and stage for various cultural events.

Google maps        Wikipedia

 

Print Email

City Museum

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The Trogir Museum was founded in 1963, but opened in 1966. The Museum is located within a unique complex of several palaces and houses owned by the Venetian Garagnin-Fonfogna family in the 18th century. The museum partly bears the stylistic features of the Romanesque and partly of the Baroque. The museum’s permanent exhibition bears witness to the city’s history from the prehistoric times to the modern age. The museum’s library has special value as it contains incunabula and many parchments and archive materials.

Google maps        Web peage

 

Print Email

Cipiko palace

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Father and son, Petar and Koriolan Cipiko, managed, clearly according to a certain family programme and with strategic marriages, to occupy the whole western side of the main square with their two palaces – opposite the council chamber, the cathedral and the other public buildings – furnishing them with an uncommon number of family coats of arms, clearly with princely pretensions.he southern portal, with medallions of angels bearing Koriolan's motto Nosce te Ipsum (Know thyself) is the work of Niccolo, around 1470. The northern portal, opposite the portal of the cathedral is the work of Ivan Duknović, fitted into the place, however, with Aleši three-mullion windows in the mid 17th century after the palace complex had been divided between two brothers and restored after the devastion by the Venetian militia that used the palaces as a barracks during the Cyprus War. The premises of the palace are today used by the Music School, some of the city departments, the Conservation department and part its privately owned.

 

Google maps

 

Print Email

Trogir Waterfront

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Renovated in 2002, the Trogir Waterfront is located in the southern part of the city. There you can find berths for yachts and mega yachts. Because of the many palm trees on the waterfront, there are many bars and restaurants whose terraces are full of tourists in the summer. The waterfront is one of the most beautiful places in Trogir, where you can relax in restaurants and cafes or go for evening strolls and watch the beautiful sunset.

Google maps        Wikipedia

 

Print Email

Benedictine monastery, Church of St. Nicholas, Kairos

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The Benedictine Monastery of St. Duje was built in 1064 next to the Church of St. Duje by the efforts of St. John of Trogir. According to folk tradition, the church’s larger vestry was the meeting point for the first Christians and St. Duje. An early Christian inscription was recently found there. In the 12th century the church and monastery were renamed after St. Nicholas. The monastery is known for the oldest painting in Trogir, the “Madonna with Child”, and the Kairos Collection. The marble relief of Kairos, the God of Luck, dates back to the 3rd or 4th century BC and was made in a workshop in Athens. 

Google maps 

 

Print Email